Friday, February 1, 2019

Learn With Me / Tutorial: Alcohol Inks On Canvas - Did I Go Too Far? Save Money Too

Alcohol ink definitely can not be compared to Acrylic paint. Which is what I am most familiar with. Originally, I tried alcohol inks in and on my polymer clay projects. They help created stained glass effects and sea glass effects. Since two dimensional art is what I am most familiar with, it makes sense that I would be curious about trying this medium out on a two dimensional surface. After watching countless tutorials on YouTube, I couldn't wait to begin experimenting. It is clear that you need to buy every colour possible! Ha ha, just kidding.  Nevertheless, it is a good excuse to buy even more art supplies. You can use any kind of alcohol ink. That includes those created using Sharpie markers, Copic or other ink refills. 
This is just one of the many changes my piece looked like.

For today's video, I started out using a small canvas board, about 5" x 7" that I added a couple of layers of Gesso. /that is a white coloured concoction used to prepare surfaces for painting. In this case it was to help create a smoother, insoluble surface for the inks.

As you watch the video you will see how much my piece morphed from one look to the other. I will save the surpises for the video.

I hope you enjoy watching the way alcohol inks can be used in so many ways, including creating beautiful art pieces. Not to mention colouring metals, glass, plastics, fabric, polymer clay, and ribbon, freshwater pearls, beads, foil....endless options.

As you watch, please leave your comment if you wish. I am curious to know at which stage did you think I should have stopped? At which point did I over do it? Do you think you will try alcohol inks? If you already use them, what do you create with them?

Now Watch And See How Far I Went
SAVE Money!!
Remember have fun with it. You can use alcohol inks on any nonporous surface. I am working on alternatives to the really expensive Yupo paper. It looks like great stuff, but for anyone wanting more options that are inexpensive and easy to do - I'm all for trying that. Which means I will be experimenting more by applying a coat or two od acrylic gel medium or gesso to pare, cardboard or even acetate.

If you apply white acrylic gesso or paint to acetate or  old plastic sheets (I save clear plastic/acetate lids and packaging) you can use the alcohol inks on the shiny acetate side and the white will help show it through.

To protect your final surface spray with a fixative or try applying brush on  led or uv resin (I use no wipe top coats)

Thanks for hanging out. Hope you try it out. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU. iT REALLY HELPS ME, IF YOU SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE!!
To connect more...

No comments: