Thursday, September 12, 2019

Nail Art Powders to Transform Our Kitchen Table Top into a GALAXY! By Hand Painting -Part 1

This was GRAND FINALE number 1- As of today September 12, 2019 - I am trying to complete the FINAL Grand Finale!
Hi guys! So Sorry, it has been a while since making a new video that is art related. I have been creating all summer and of course this table top has taken up the last half of it!
Hope you have been creating and enjoying the final remains of summer. I would love to hear about what you have been learning or working on.

Finally, I was able to edit and publish part one about the transforming of our kitchen table. I started a month ago and as of today, September 12,I am still trying to perfect it! But out of interest to document and to help others go to sleep, I am posting the footage we took documenting the beginning process. There is a grand finale moment but, I took up the paint brush a week or two later and have worked daily ever since! It didn't hurt that I received a pile of new nail art powders and flakes that make great stars and cosmic effects!
Watch the first part Below!

I apologize that part one has some very amatuer videography, but we are amateurs any way. The hope
is to demonstrate how you can take a plain piece of furniture or even a counter top or canvas, piece of wood, etc. and turn it into a work of art!!

Details on materials used Here is a list of the materials I have used to transform our table top.
You can use paint but I wanted to create layers and special sparkling effects.
After all that is what galaxies are, lots of sparkling stars and nebulas and such!
πŸ’•Primary Elements - click here to see a previous article about them
πŸ’•Nail Art Powders - Mostly Born Pretty brand including chameleon, colour changing flakes, mermaid and chameleon
πŸ’•Mica Powders - click here to see a previous article on my Pear Ex swatches
πŸ’•A few sizes of soft paint brushes none larger than about 3/4 inches wide.
πŸ’•A small fan brush
πŸ’•Holographic glitters - I used a lot! including microfine ones from Born Pretty
πŸ’•Course sand paper - I lightly sanded down high points when glitter felt too sharp.
Primary Elements

πŸ’•Polycrylic water based Gloss finish - basically polyurethane- I used a total of about 3 quarts/litres of polyurethane including some Acrylic varnish/medium
πŸ’•I did try using metal leaf flakes but ended up covering them.

Lessons Learned So Far
Well, I have learned that the more layers I add, the table top looks all rippled and lumpy. But then we are talking about 3 litres of liquid mixed in with pigments/mica powders and glitters.  I recommend having more of a plan. We love the end result but I am disappointed about the lumpy
look. When you touch it, it is fairly smooth. We will both find out the very final end result in a few more videos. I hope to finish today! I say that every day.

If possible buy the flakes in larger sizes, it got costly using teeny pots that empty so fast.
The Primary Elements by Lumiere are amazing. A little goes a long way. The deep colours are mega intense. A few specks of indigo goes a long way too.

Always stir the polyurethane before using!
Pearl Ex Powders


I did try the colour shifting paint from Folk Art but did not like it - very unpigmented,

Hope you are inspired a little.
Part two is coming soon.


No comments: