Friday, October 5, 2018

Finally Friday!: See My Dad's New Art Work!

Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas 
Childhood Inspiration
Yay, it's Finally Friday! When you grow up in a creative family, you definitely are more likely to be creative yourself. It doesn't mean you won't be an artist if your parents didn't create, it just really helps. My parents always kept me well supplied with art making supplies. I remember before I fell in love with illustrating and painting, I really enjoyed all the craft making kits they would give me. Forgive me if I mentioned this before, but it is how much I loved getting to play around. Everything from wood burning kits, "Dip- It" liquid plastic, rug hooking, Spirograph, Coloured pencils, pints, pastels, plaster of paris, string art, macrame, weaving loom (Dad made me one and a spool knitting spool)...to even a paint by number set! Yes it is a sin now for anyone who paints, but hey it's great fun when you are a kid. So parents, encourage your child's creativity by providing them with art making supplies or anything that can be created with. Heck, I remember enjoying hours at my Grandma Harris' house cutting up styrofoam egg cartons to create teeny ashes and cutlery. Not to mention getting to create crafts with kits she would give me when I hung out there!
And then there's my Mom who taught me about crocheting, embroidery, and sewing. Creativity can be expressed in endless ways!

Dad Share
My Dad!
Wanted to share my Dad's newest painting that he shared wit us! He is an epic landscape painter who prefers oil paint. I like his detailed, layered brushwork. For those of you who don't know oil paint is the coloured pigments combined with oil mediums that make it oil paint. I tried it once and found it difficult because it takes much much longer to dry. The good thing that I liked, that you can re-work areas after. Unlike Acrylic (Water based, plastic like paint) that dries crazy fast. Fine if you know how to keep it wet with a spray bottle but frustrating if you don't.
It is worth buying a small Reeves oil paint set just to try them out. If you haven't decided what you like, you may fall in love with them.
Historically,  many of the famous artists we know of like Monet, Picasso, VanGogh, Kandinsky, Keefe and the Group of Seven, painted with oils. It is fun to learn and try the different paints that exist.
Paint Talk
Water colour and Gouache are the only paints that I know of and have worked with, that can be re-wet once dry. For instance once they dry in your palette, you can spray them with water and rehydrate them to use them some more. Whereas Acrylic, is tricky to keep from drying and then being useless. I and my husband keep them on a plastic plate for a palette, continuously moistened with water spray and stored in a sealed zip type bag. Oil Paints can be set aside during the day, with pretty much no worries about your palette drying out. To store, laying plastic wrap or sealing in a plastic container works too. Give them a try.
See Some More Of My Dad's Paintings!
Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas 
Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas 
Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas

Close up


close-up

close-up





Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas

close up

Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas

Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas

Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas

Painting by R. J. "Bob" Harris, oil on canvas

Thanks for stopping by. 


No comments: