Wednesday, July 18, 2018

HeArtfully Creating:Polymer Clay Journey - My First Gemstone Ring


Handmade fantasy art ring using polymer clay and chalcedony gemstone.By Anita Berglund

Happy summer guys! Have you been creating in some form or other? Hope so.
It has been a fun artistic summer so far for me. Between creating one of a kind figurines,(see here) I have been experimenting with polymer clay and gemstone pendants (coming soon) and yesterday, a new gemstone ring idea. 

This ring was totally whimsical, no pre-planning at all. Never been good at pre-planning. Because I love taking photos of what I make, I have a video below that features all angles of this pretty fantasy ring. I call it a fantasy ring or even cosplay because it has that look to it, some swirls and sparkle and a large glowing gemstone in the center! The ring itself,  was formed around a metal  cannoli cylinder. You can use any cylinder in the size you want, just wrap it in wax paper first and tape or it will be tricky to remove. For the base, I used white Premo and translucent clay and an aqua  chalcedony onion briolette gemstone with facets (about 12mm across). 

To be sure it was secure, I pushed the pointy part into the clay and surrounded it with a clay bezel and some embellishments. Unfortunately, I ended up losing half the stone in the clay. Chalcedony is an amazing stone that glows when light is near. You don't need a stone to make a ring, or you can make a faux stone out of clay or even a resin gemstone (that must be oven safe.) Then before curing in the oven for 1.25 hours at 275F, I coated the clay with a beautiful shimmering, metallic chrome nail art powder. I assume the born pretty nail art powders are mica, but am not a hundred percent sure. Hope you are inspired even a little to try creating a polymer clay ring.
See More Photos - Watch Video  Below!
HeArtfully Creating,
Anita

Be sure to share your creations with us at our Heartfully Creating's Facebook Group

"LIKE" HeArtfully Creating Here on FACEBOOK

A BERGIE CREATION - at Etsy, my handmade jewelry shop

ABC On Twitter

No comments: