Thursday, October 18, 2018

Digital Drawing Talk: Tablets To Drawing Software on A Budget

One of my earl digital drawings on Wacomb Bamboo Fun
For about 7  years I have been illustrating using a Wacomb Bamboo Fun Tablet with primarily Sketchbook Pro6. But for over four decades I drew and painted with actual physical art materials...paint, paper, pencils, markers and canvas. For me the reasons to try digital art making is because it helps me to overcome the physical barriers that arise as my muscles deteriorate due to my SMA. All I now need is a tablet, my computer and my creativity. No easels, heavy equipment, messy clean up. Don't get me wrong, all of that is great if you can create what you want and have the ability to manage all that goes with it. I am just trying to say that thanks to technology, those who want to create but have limited arm/hand/finger mobility and strength, not to give up. That digital drawing devices and software make virtual painting and drawing a possibility.

A page I drew by hand, scanned and completed digitally
Based on my experience so far in digital world, I have say what I have learned to help anyone else like me. Make sure you get a drawing tablet that has PRESSURE SENSITIVITY. This has been my biggest frustration. When I started out, it was as if I was a three year old using a pencil for the first time. Turns out there are drawing programs and devices that can help your experience be as real as using an actual pen or brush. If you don't have the right specs, the stylus is beyond hyper sensitive, flailing about with every tremor or even every breath you take...Hmmm....a song just popped into my head!

 Well because I have been crazily creating beads and such in polymer clay, I haven't used my Wacomb Bamboo Fiun tablet in a while. I was shocked when my laptop said it wasn't compatible. When in doubt unplug and re-plug devices. That worked part way but, the software drivers were gone. Reinstalling them, I can now get back to drawing!

However, as this was happening, I assumed it had finally broke down and I would need a new tablet. Not wasting a minute, I hit  up Amazon and started searching sites for the best affordable tablets. That lead to also researching Digital art application reviews. Wanting to avoid spending mega dollars, I was interested in a fun/great online YouTube Artist named JAZZA!  I am not comfortable with all of his content and advise parental supervision if browsing his channel. But I really enjoy his great personality and artistic talent. Since he is a modern young artist, he can help me update my old traditional ways. The video I am posting here is definitely "Suitable for All Ages." I recommend watching this if you are interested in finding a free to under twenty dollars digital art making program. I am going with his first choice. You will have to watch to find out which one!
JAZZA

Here is another great video giving great advice on becoming a digital artist, the first video is about purchasing a drawing tablet as well as some suggestions on drawing software/apps as well.
Nadiaxl

Nothing digital made this. I used coloured pencils and markers.
Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments: