Thursday, November 24, 2016

My Polymer Clay Journey: Glazed And Confused?

A Practical Polymer Clay project I completed a while ago....
more on that in the future!
As I reported previously, in this article here about the Polyurethane peeling off of my pieces. (And yes, I used the exact kind recommended by many reputable Polymer Clay Artists).  I had to sand off all the Polyurethane and opted for sanding, buffing and waxing. Well, since that article, I have just read from The Blue Bottle Tree's Ginger Davis' Article, that the Renaissance Wax that came highly recommended by one of my favourite Poly Clay Sites - Isn't as protective as I believed it was. The Blue Bottle Tree says it isn't as protective to pieces with Mica powder on the surface, it may even remove it and that there are even more expensive ways to achieve the waxed effects.
Needless to say, initially, I felt confused about who to believe and what I should do. I am not dissing all the valuable lessons from those I have learned and are learning from...not at all.  I am saying that it is my fault for not researching on my own, by actually doing my own tests. Always have been lazy that way...finding a teaching and then devouring all they have to say, basically parroting them without questioning anything. Learning lessons the hard way means those lessons stay with you forever.
Conflicting Messages?
After countless attempts using recommended finishes, I personally recommend that if you want to seal or offer a glossy surface to your pieces, do your research. I have found conflicting articles by artists who I have learned from. It seems that some of the same methods and products when used by me, don't always works as described. Doesn't mean they were wrong. Maybe I do things differently and made a mistake?! Possible.
Regardless, I foolishly (in the beginning), just embraced, without question advice by purchasing and using specific glazes and such and covered a tonne of beads. (You know how much work that is!)
And then weeks later (sometimes even days later), when I went to use my beads or pendants, I discovered the surface to be sticky and ruined! Can't tell you how frustrating that can be. :o(  Not that any of the advice I gleaned was wrong or anything. It just means I have learned that lessons need to be learned through trial and error on my own, not just following others without question.
Yes as many of you may know, there are definitely well meaning tutorials from less experienced clayers (I assume) who give advice that ends up contradicting those Polymer Artists that have great reputations, the ones I trust far more, such as some of my favourites: the Polymer Clay Tutor Christi Friesen, Katers Acres,  and now, Blue Bottle Tree and Unruly Housewife. If I hadn't learned from these guys, then I would be making even bigger mistakes. So I strongly encourage endless hands on experience and research....
Some Final Thoughts....
After too many disappointing glazing moments, I highly suggest to do your own testing on small amounts to avoid wasting your time  and money. Bummer is, I bought one litre of Polyurethane and other glazes, now I will not be using them on clay! Be sure to research the terrific articles and videos by the many great poly clay artists online, but don't just assume every word of advice will work for you....test them out yourself or you'll learn the hard way like me

HeArtfully Creating,
Anita :o)


No comments: